Oregon State University
School of Mechanical, Industrial,
and Manufacturing Engineering
129 Covell Hall
Corvallis, OR 97331-6001
Phone: (541) 737-6627
Fax: (541) 737-2600
Dr. Irem Y. Tumer, ASME Fellow, is a Professor in Mechanical, Industrial, and Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University, where she leads the Complex Engineered System Design Group, and Associate Dean for Research (ADR) for the College of Engineering at OSU. As ADR, her primary focus has been on ensuring faculty success, starting and partnering in centers and institutes, and building strategic partnerships with industry. Her research focuses on the overall problem of designing highly complex and integrated engineering systems with reduced risk of failures, and developing formal methodologies and approaches for complex system design and analysis. Since moving to Oregon State University in 2006, her funding has largely been through NSF, AFOSR, DARPA, and NASA. Prior to accepting a faculty position at OSU, Dr. Tumer led the Complex Systems Design and Engineering group in the Intelligent Systems Division at NASA Ames Research Center, where she worked from 1998 through 2006 as Research Scientist, Group Lead, and Program Manager. Dr. Tumer has been Conference Chair for ASME’s Design for Manufacturing and the Lifecycle conference in 2000, Program Chair for IEEE Reliability Society’s Prognostics and Health Management Conference in 2008, and Program Chair (2011) and Conference Chair (2012) for ASME’s International Design Theory and Methodology Conference; and is current Associate Editor for ASME Journal of Mechanical Design and the International Journal of Prognostics and Health Management, and guest editor for AEIDAM journal. She received her Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from The University of Texas at Austin in 1998.
- 1. H. Walsh, A. Dong, I.Y. Tumer, “The Role of Bridging Nodes in Behavioral Network Models of Complex Engineered Systems.” In Print. Journal of Design Science. 2018.
- N. Soria, M. Colby, I.Y. Tumer, C. Hoyle, K. Tumer, “Design of Complex Engineered Systems Using Multiagent Coordination.” ASME Journal of Computing & Information Sciences in Engineering. 18(2). 2018.
- D. Hulse, K. Tumer, C. Hoyle, I.Y. Tumer, “A Multiagent Framework for Designing Complex Engineered Systems.” Under revision.
- R. Arlitt, D. VanBossuyt, I.Y. Tumer, R.B. Stone, “The function-based design for sustainability method.” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. 139(4). 2017.
- J. Piacenza, M. A. Bozorgirad, C. Hoyle, I.Y. Tumer, “Robust topology design of complex infrastructure systems.”ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part B: Mechanical Engineering. 3(2). 2017.
- B. Haley, A. Dong, I.Y. Tumer, “A Comparison of Network Based Metrics of Behavioral Degradation in Complex Engineered Systems.” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. 138(12). 2016.
- C. Hsiao, M. Ruffino, R. Malak, I.Y. Tumer, T. Doolen, “Discovering Taxonomic Structure in Design Archive Information: A Study of Risk-Mitigating Actions in a Large Engineering Organization.” Journal of Engineering Design. 27 (1-3), 146-169. 2016.
- H. Mehrpouyan, D.Giannakopoulou, G. P. Brat, I. Y. Tumer, C. Hoyle, “Complex Engineered Systems Design Verification Based on Assume-Guarantee Reasoning.” Journal of International Council on Systems Engineering. 19(6): 461-476. 2016.
- M. McIntire, C. Hoyle, I.Y. Tumer, D.C. Jensen, “Safety-informed design: using subgraph analysis to elicit hazardous emergent failure behavior in complex systems.” AIEDAM Journal. 30(04): 466-473. 2016.
- C.A. Manion, R. Arlitt, M.I. Campbell, I.Y. Tumer, R.B. Stone, P.A. Greaney, “Automated Design of Flexible Linkers.” Dalton Transactions, Royal Society of Chemistry. 2017.
- R. Yim, T. Doolen, R. Malak, I.Y. Tumer. “Exploring the Relationship between Rework Projects and Risk Indicators.” Project Management Journal. 46(4): 63-75. 2015.
- R. Yim, T. Doolen, R. Malak, I.Y. Tumer, “Exploring the Relationship between Project Risk and Project Classification.” International Journal of Project Management. 2015.
- H. Mehrpouyan, B. Haley, I.Y. Tumer, C. Hoyle, A. Dong, “Resiliency Analysis for Complex System Design.” AIEDAM Journal. 29(01): 93-108. February 2015.
- D.C. Jensen, O. Bello, C. Hoyle, I.Y. Tumer, “Reasoning about Emergent System Failure Behavior using Large Sets of Qualitative Function-Based Simulation Data.” AIEDAM Journal. Special Issue on Complex System Design 28(04): 385-398. November 2014.
- B.M. O’Halloran, B. Haley, D.C. Jensen, R.B. Stone, I.Y. Tumer, “The early implementation of failure modes into component model libraries.” Journal of Research in Engineering Design. 25(3): 203-221. July 2014.
- S.K. Oman, B. Gilchrist, I.Y. Tumer, R.B. Stone, “The Development of a Repository of Innovative Products (RIP) for Inspiration in Engineering Design.” International Journal of Design Creativity and Innovation. 2(4). Distinguished paper award. October 2014.
- S. Sierla, B.M. O’Halloran, H. Nikula, N. Papakonstantinou, I.Y. Tumer, “Safety analysis of mechatronic product lines.” Mechatronics. 24(3): 231–240. 2014.
- D.L. Van Bossuyt, L. Carvalho, A. Dong, I.Y. Tumer, “On Measuring Engineering Risk Attitudes.” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. 135(12). 2013.
- S. Sierla, B.M. O’Halloran, T. Karhela, N. Papakonstantinou, I.Y. Tumer, “Common cause failure analysis of cyber-physical systems situated in constructed environments.” Journal of Research in Engineering Design. October 2013, 24(4): 375-394.
- D.L. Van Bossuyt, I.Y. Tumer, S. Wall, “A Case for Trading Risk in Conceptual Design Trade Studies.” Journal of Research in Engineering Design. 24: 259-275. 2013.
- C. Metha, D.C. Jensen, I.Y. Tumer, C. Smidts, “An Integrated Multi-Domain Functional Failure and Propagation Analysis Approach for Safe System Design.” AIEDAM Journal. 27(4): 317-347 (2013).
- S.K. Oman, I.Y. Tumer, K.L. Wood, C. Seepersad, “A Comparison of Creativity and Innovation Metrics and Validation through In-Class Design Projects.” 24(1): 65-92. Journal of Research in Engineering Design.
- N. Papakonstantinou, S. Sierla, I.Y. Tumer, D. Jensen, “Multi-Scale Simulation on Interactions and Emergent Failure Behavior During Complex System Design.” ASME Journal of Computing & Information Sciences in Engineering. 12(3). September2012.
- S. Sierla, I.Y. Tumer, N. Papakonstantinou, K. Koskinen, D. Jensen, “Early Integration of Safety to the Mechatronic System Design Process for the Functional Failure Identification and Propagation Framework.” Mechatronics. 22(2): 137-151. March 2012.
- D.L. Van Bossuyt, C. Hoyle, I.Y. Tumer, A. Dong, “Considering Risk Attitude Using Utility Theory in Risk-Based Design.” AIEDAM Journal. Special Issue on Intelligent Decision Support and Modeling. 26(4). 2012.
- R. Hutcheson, D.A. McAdams, I.Y. Tumer, “Function-based behavioral modeling.”The International Journal of Computer Aided Engineering and Technology. 4(3). 2012.
- A.M. Agogino, A.K. Goel, C.C. Hayes, W.C. Regli, I.Y. Tumer, “Intelligent Systems in Product Design: A Retrospective.” ASME Journal of Computing & Information Sciences in Engineering. 11(2). June 2011.
- I.Y. Tumer and C.S. Smidts, “Integrated design-stage failure analysis of software-driven hardware systems.” IEEE Transactions on Computers. Special Issue on Science of Design for Safety Critical Systems. 60(8): 1072-1084. 2011.
- E. Coatanea, S. Nonsiri, T. Ritola, I.Y. Tumer, D. Jensen, “Dimensional analysis based behavioral modeling for design-stage failure analysis.” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. 133(12). 2011.
- T. Kurtoglu, D. Jensen, I.Y. Tumer, “A functional failure reasoning methodology for evaluation of conceptual system architectures”.Journal of Research in Engineering Design. 21:209-234.2010.
- M.R. Bohm, K.R. Haapala, K. Poppa, R.B. Stone, I.Y. Tumer, “Towards integrating sustainability analysis into the conceptual phase of product design.” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. Special Issue in Sustainable design. 132. September 2010.
- C. Hoyle, I.Y. Tumer, A.F. Mehr, W. Chen, “Health Management Allocation for Conceptual System Design.” ASME Journal of Computing & Information Sciences in Engineering. 9(2). 2009.
- N. Patransky Robson, J.M. McCarthy, I.Y. Tumer, “Failure recovery planning for an arm actuator failure on an exploratory rover.” The IEEE Transactions on Robotics. 25(6): 1448-1453. 2009.
- K. Grantham-Lough, R.B. Stone, and I.Y. Tumer, “The risk in early design method.” Journal of Engineering Design. 20(2). 2009.
- K Grantham-Lough, M. Van Wie, R.B. Stone, F. Barrientos, I.Y. Tumer, “Promoting risk communication in early design through linguistic analyses and tools.” Journal of Research in Engineering Design, 20(1): 29. 2009.
- K. Grantham-Lough, R.B. Stone, I.Y. Tumer, “Failure prevention through effective cataloguing and utilization of failure events,” Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention.8(5): 469-481. 2008.
- N. Patransky Robson, J.M. McCarthy, I.Y. Tumer, “The algebraic synthesis of a spatial TS chain for a prescribed acceleration task.”Mechanisms and Machine Theory. 2008.
- K. Grantham-Lough, R.B. Stone, I.Y. Tumer, “Implementation Procedures for the Risk in Early Design (RED) Method,” Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering. 2(2): 126-143. 2008.
- T. Kurtoglu and I.Y. Tumer, “A graph based fault identification and propagation framework for functional design of complex systems.” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. 30(5). 2008.
- D.A. McAdams, D. Comella, I.Y. Tumer, “Exploring effective methods for simulating damaged structures with geometric variation.”ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, JAM-05-116. 2007.
- A.F. Mehr and I.Y. Tumer, “Risk based decision making for managing resources during the design of complex aerospace systems.” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. Special Issue on Robust and Reliability Based Design. 128(4): 1014-1022. July 2006.
- R.B. Stone, I.Y. Tumer, M.E. Stock, “Linking product functionality to historical failures to improve failure analysis in design.” Journal of Research in Engineering Design. 16(2): 96-108. 2005.
- D.A. McAdams and I.Y. Tumer, “Toward Intelligent fault detection in turbine blades: Variational vibration models of damaged pinned-pinned beams.” ASME Journal of Vibration & Acoustics. 127(5): 467-474. 2005.
- R.B. Stone, I.Y. Tumer, M. VanWie, “The Function-Failure Design Method.” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. 127(3): 397-407. 2005.
- S.G. Arunajadai, R.B. Stone, I.Y. Tumer, “Failure mode identification through clustering analysis.” Quality and Reliability Engineering International Journal. 20:511-526. 2004.
- I.Y. Tumer, R.B. Stone, “Mapping Function to Failure during High-Risk Component Development.” Journal of Research in Engineering Design. 14: 25-33. 2003.
- I.Y. Tumer, E.M. Huff, “Analysis of Triaxial Vibration Data for Health Monitoring of Helicopter Gearboxes.” ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics. 125(1): 120-128. 2003.
- I.Y. Tumer, E.M. Huff, “On the Effects of Production and Maintenance Variations on Rotating Machinery Component Performance.” Journal of Quality in Maintenance and Engineering. 8(3): 226-238. 2002. (Highly Commended Award, 2002 Volume, Emerald Literati Club.)
- E.M. Huff, I.Y. Tumer, E. Barszcz, M. Dzwonczyk, J. McNames, “Analysis of Maneuvering Effects on Transmission Vibrations in an AH-1 Cobra Helicopter.” Journal of the American Helicopter Society. 47(1): 42-49. January 2002.
- I.Y. Tumer, K.L. Wood, I.J. Busch-Vishniac, “Monitoring of Manufacturing Signals Using the Karhunen-Loeve Transform.” Mechanical Systems & Signal Processing Journal, 14(6): 1011-1026. 2000.
- I.Y. Tumer, R.L. Longoria, K.L. Wood, “Signal Analysis Using the Karhunen-Loeve Transform: Application to Hydrodynamic Forces.” ASME Journal of Offshore Mechanics & Arctic Engineering, 122(3): 208-213. 2000.
- I.Y. Tumer, K.L. Wood, I.J. Busch-Vishniac, “A Mathematical Transform to Improve Part Surface Quality in Manufacturing.” ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science & Engineering. 122(1): 273-279. February 2000.
- I.Y. Tumer, D.C. Thompson, R.H. Crawford, K.L. Wood, “Characterization of Surface Fault Patterns, with Application to a Layered Manufacturing Process.” Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 17(1): 23-36. 1998.
- I.Y. Tumer, R.S. Srinivasan, K.L. Wood, “Investigation of Characteristic Measures for the Analysis and Synthesis of Precision-Machined Surfaces.” Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 14(5): 378-392. 1995.